|Fire Apparatus built by the Motor Transport
Depot, Camp Holabird, Baltimore, Maryland
|Standard Crash Trucks
|The first Holabird Crash Truck was designed and produced at Camp
Holabird in 1931. Two were built that year and 6 others in 1932. In a
interview with Col. Edgar Stayer, QMC, " The crash truck will be
assigned to flying fields and used in conjunction with the field's
ambulance, both being on the field and fully manned when flying is
The first crash truck built was constructed on the QM Depot built, 1 1/2
ton, 4x4 chassis and was powered by a 73 hp Franklin engine. The
truck was equipped with a small capacity rotary gear pump and held
100 gals of water. Cans of foam powder were carried atop the rig and
a mechanical foam making device was affixed to the running board.
Foam was produced by adding the foam powder into the mixing device
which was attached to a supply hose. The truck was know as the
Class 100 and records indicate only 2 of these small vehicles were
built. W-503 was assigned to the Carlisle Army Barracks in PA., while
W-504 was assigned to the Randolph Army Airfield in TX.
|1939 Class 100 Crash Truck USA 50163
|The Class 100 Crash Truck was built on the QM Depot, 2 1/2 ton, 6x4 chassis. It could travel at speeds up
to 60 mph on hard surface roads and 50 mph across the airfield. Special provisions were made for
producing effective foam and carbon dioxide gas for fighting gasoline and oil fires involving aircraft. A 100
gpm single stage centrifugal pump was mounted on the vehicle and operated through a power take off from
the motor. The water tank held 300 gals of water and a foam tank held 30 gals. Two foam lines were
attached to the rear of the vehicle discharge. Four fifty pound carbon dioxide cylinders were mounted in
the body of the vehicle and attached to a hose reel carrying 100 ft of 1/2 in high pressure line. A special
CO2 discharge horn was supplied. Portable fire extinguishers along with numberous hand rescue tools
were also carried. Some 40 of these rigs have been documented by FTAW.
|The Class 110 Crash Truck was built on the Chevrolet 4x4 chassis. The Motor Transport Shop at Fort
Holabird built 242 of these units, while Oren built 42. New information indicates that 52 Class 110s were
built at the Memphis Quartermaster Depot. The Holabird rigs had a plaque "Model-QMC" covering the
embossed Chevrolet on the sides of the hood. The Class 110 was equipped with a 100 gpm centrifugal
power take off pump and a 250 gal water tank. Foam liquid was premixed in the water tank and supplied
to the fire through 100 ft of 1 in hose with foam nozzles. Four fifty-pound carbon dioxide cylinders were
mounted in the body of the truck and attached to a hose reel mounted at the rear of the vehicle. The
CO2 hose reel carried 100 ft of 1/2 in high pressure hose and was attached to a discharge hose nozzle.
The rig was equipped with numerous hand tools for rescue work.
|1931 Class 100 Crash Truck W-502 in service at the
Randolph Army Airfield, TX
|1941 Class 100 Holabird Crash Truck USA
W- 50370, Stockton Army Airfield, CA., 1942